Monday, December 11, 2006

Asmara's Vegetable and Spice Market


The vegetable and spice market in the center of Asmara is a cornacopia of fresh produce, grains, and spices. Open every day but Sunday, the market hosts as many as 50 different vendors selling everything from guavas to dried chickpeas. And although many of these items may also be purchased in the small grocery stores scattered throughout the city, the market is really the only place worth going for these sorts of raw materials.

Unfortunately, because of my work schedule, I can only ever go to the market on Saturdays, the busiest day of the week. When Anna and I do go, we tend to stock up on items such as tomatoes, peppers, onions, and oranges, all staples in any Eritrean's diet. But a lot of other items are also readily available. For example, tropical fruits such as guavas and papayas are dirt cheap. Personally, I am waiting for mango season. Those are supposed to be amazing.

I haven't ventured into the grains much. Although I know what to do with rice, many of the grains, sold at the market in bulk, must be milled before they can actually be used. On the other hand, flour that has already been ground is proving difficult to find.



I enjoy shopping at the market because the selection cannot be beat. If you aren't satisfied with one vendor's tomatoes, there are 15 others you can try. Also, if a vendor recognizes you as a previous customer, some times they will give you things for free.


The one downside is that the market is where Asmara's few beggars hang out. So, while you are trying to select a pumpkin, someone is always standing behind you asking for money. And no matter how many times you tell them no, they will only shut up if the vendors tell them to leave. Fortunately, unlike in many cities in Africa, you never have to worry about having your pocket picked or your purse snatched at the market in Asmara. Crime is largely an unknown concept in Eritrea. I honestly think its beneath them.


Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Ostrovsky said...

No crime? How does that work, is it a cultural thing?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Sandeep Malik said...

Its not really a cultural thing. It's the way things function in Eritrea. The dictator is all powerful and he can have people eliminated at the drop of a hat, or send them for additional military service. But I agree, crime is virtually non existant.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Dear Sandeep, et al.,

Please note that I have tried very hard to keep politics out of my blog. I was more successful in Eritrea than in Sudan, but I'm still trying. Consequently, I would appreciate it if others would avoid making political comments on my blog. After all, I would like to be able to return to Eritrea in the future.

Thanks,
Hillary

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home