Monday, March 12, 2007

Random Hash Photos...


Unfortunately, I don't really have time to write, but I wanted to post something So, I have decided to share some more photos from the hashes I have been on over the last couple of months.This, of course, means that I am yet again putting off my description of Eritrean beverages, which I have been planning for weeks now. But don't worry. It's coming. And in the meantime, I hope you enjoy these photos.

This first photo is of Niklas, James, and Anna on the December 30, 2006 hash. Because there were only four of us on this hash, we decided to go off trail a bit and expore some areas where we had never been before. At one point, we decided to walk along a ridge-top, which according to the local kids who yelled after us, is populated by hyenas. Fortunately, we didn't actually encounter any hyenas. i wouldn't mind seeing one while I'm here, but I would prefer to do it from the safety of a moving vehicle.


Here's brian, our former fearless leader, on his second to last hash. If you can't read it, his t-shirt says "Poach eggs, not elephants." I think he wore that shirt on every single hash. We miss Brian ... and his Land Rover. Our new fearless leader, Courtney, doesn't have a car, so there is always a risk that no drivers will show up and the hash will have to be cancelled.


Here I am ringing the stone bells outside the church shown below. This was the December 16, 2006 hash and was one of my favorites. Of course, I was scolded for actually ringing the bells rather than just posing with them. Apparently by rining them, I was calling the local villagers to church. Oops ...


This picture is of some village kids we encountered on the December 23, 2006 hash. They were some of the most aggressive I've met. While the village kids are often reluctant to have their pictures taken, these boys insisted that I take their picture.


Check out the three peaks in this picture. They are located between Keren and Barentu, a couple hundred kilomters from Asmara. Pretty impressive landmark, huh? This photo was taken on the February 24, 2007 hash. I had been on this trail before, but the last time I tried to photograph these peaks, my picture didn't turn out at all. This one isn't great, but it is a definite improvement.


We think this is a chalk quarry, but we aren't sure. Anyone know? This was taken on the March 3, 2007 hash.


These next two were taken on the March 8, 2007 hash. This was a really short hash, but we went to a really beautiful location. I'd actually been there once before when there was actually water coming down the waterfall, but this time was more exciting because we actually climbed up the waterfall a bit. Here are Soe, Woldu, and James climbing.


And this photo of Courtney, James, and me was taken down in the canyon.


Finally, my favorite recent hash photo is this one of Soe in the straw hat taken on March 3. He's Burmese, but someone suggested that he looked Mexican in that hat. What do you think?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home