Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roman Holiday: Full-Time Job Addition

I've been in Rome for two weeks now. But to be honest, that still hasn't really dawned on me. I've been spending most of my time going back and forth between my new office and an adjoining residence affiliated with my organization. And to the extent to which I have gotten out, it's mostly been for food or drinks with my new colleagues. Indeed, I saw exponentially more of Rome during the 2.5 days my friend Callie and I spent here in 2000 than I have in the past two weeks. That isn't going to improve any time soon either, because I am leaving for Africa on Tuesday.

With this in mind, I decided today that I needed to get out and see a bit of Rome. I won't claim to have learned anything, and honestly, I didn't really see anything I hadn't seen before (except for the Piazza Navona, which I think Callie and I somehow missed in 2000). But I did get a feel for some of Rome (and of areas to avoid if I want to avoid the tourists). I also tracked down this amazing gelato Callie and I had back in 2000 and which I have been dreaming about ever since. It's no secret. The gelateria is lauded by Lonely Planet as having possibly the best gelato in the world. But I was glad to get back there.



So here are a few pictures from the day out. Key stops included the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and the Piazza Navona.

I must say that while I took a number of photos of the obligatory landmarks, I was most moved by smaller, lesser known streets and piazzas. I found myself stopping and staring at romantic and unexpected restaurants and cafes. Or, as in these photos, at the faded, presumably renaissance era paintings on the side of what appears to be a currently inhabited apartment building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home