Sunday, September 30, 2007

You wouldn't believe some of the things people try to sell on the streets here in Khartoum. And I don't mean on a blanket or card table on the sidewalk (which there is plenty of). I mean people who walk up to your car while you are stopped at a red light or in traffic and try to convince you to buy something they are carrying around.

In other countries there are plenty of little boys selling chewing gum, candy, and cigarettes. But here, the items I've seen include clocks, a six-foot tall coat rack, a full size carpet, and an electric drill. And, of course, the funniest part is that those selling these items seem truly surprised that I'm not interested in their wares when I am riding a long in a taxi...Where exactly do they think I'm going to put that coat rack?

(Alright, that's all for now. But I promise a more thorough post soon, maybe even with a few pictures.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home