Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Tragedy

My life in Khartoum may have become more difficult in my absence. Tragically, an American working for USAID in Sudan, named John Granville, and his Sudanese driver, were both shot and killed at approximately 3 in the morning on New Year's Day. He was not someone I knew, but I can't guarantee I never met him. Moreover, he was on his way home from a New Year's Eve Party at the British Embassy, which I am sure I would have been at had I been in Khartoum for the holidays. I am certain that a number of my friends were there.

Read more in this New York Times article on this tragic event.


As I may have mentioned before, Khartoum, is a very safe city. This kind of thing simply doesn't happen there. So, now that it has, I am sure that all of our lives are going to be quite different. Assuming, of course, that my parents allow me to return.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home